Thursday 24 January 2019

Humans of IYACA

"During my short-term EVS project in IYACA I experienced many funny, exciting and shocking events that would barely fit in a book. However, one unexpected situation pops into my head at the moment... It was an ordinary Tuesday and I was heading to a school from which I supposed to go to a kindergarten where I was teaching kids English. However, the principle warned me that the roads, leading to the school, were too slippery, therefore he did not want to risk and take me there, so I stayed the whole day in school having discussions with middle-schoolers. Not expecting anything unusual, I went to the first class. As soon as I opened the doors I saw how surprised and happy the students were and they started asking me a question after a question... Most of them were very excited to know more about me, my country, however, soon the discussion turned into chaos when some teens started wondering what were my Facebook and Instagram nicknames and felt the need to take bunch of selfies with their new „teacher of a day“. When the bell rang I stood up ready to head to the next class, however, it was impossible due to students surrounding me. They did not want to let me go. Finally, one worker came and took me to the principle‘s office. I felt like it was a dream and did not expect this situation to repeat. 
However, when I went to 3 other classes the exact same sequence of events occurred. At the end of the day I felt more and more attention when I was walking down the hall and later I even heard that someone spread the rumor that I was a famous person... When I was ready to finish my day at school, I went back to the principle‘s office to dress myself up. I heard many excited voices behind the doors and when I opened them to leave the building I was followed by 20-30 students who believed I am a big celebrity. They wanted to hug me and take selfies with me and most of them chased me until the gates outside. When I left the area I took a deep breath to make sure I was not dreaming. When I came back home and checked my Instagram account I realized that I gained several hundred new followers. The next week when I came back to the school all the English teachers pointed out how much their students love me and even though they told them I was not a celebrity, they continued to act the same.“

                             
                                                                                                                                                             Milda – IYACA volunteer.



No comments:

Post a Comment