Wednesday 30 January 2019

How does a dream come true?

Hello beautiful people :))
Greetings from Turkey... I am Ana-Maria, from Timişoara, Romania and I will be a volunteer in IYACA in Turkey for two months.
Why Turkey? Why Ankara? Why this project? Everyone has been asking me this lately. Sometimes I ask myself that too. Why did I choose to use this unique opportunity to do a short-term EVS in this city, and to work at something unrelated to what I studied in University? The answer is simple: I wanted to visit and to learn more about this country since I saw the first turkish TV series, since I met the first Turk, since I saw the first pictures of her landscapes. So when I saw that I had the opportunity to apply for an EVS in the country of my dreams, I did not hesitate to do this, not even for a moment. In the next second, I filled in all the necessary papers and I waited the response from the Iyaca association (the hosting organization).
 I was the happiest person in the world when I found out that I was accepted for this EVS. Everyone told me to think twice before taking this step in order to have no regrets later. I have been asked by the family many times if I'm sure I want to live alone in a foreign country, where I do not know anyone and there are dangers all the way.
 Honestly, I did not care any moment about dangers, as long as I was about to see my dream come true. I always thought that being a girl would never prevent me from doing what I want, so I started my adventure with a big smile on my face, and I want to believe I will finish it the same way.

From the first moment I stepped in this beautiful country, I fell in love with everything I was seeing around, basically, I felt like I was home. I did not feel alone for a moment, I did not feel I miss something and I did not see anything dangerous (except the moments when I had to cross the street). Even if it is challenging to have a dialogue with locals, because it is difficult to find people who speak English, I love to try to speak Turkish.
Also, even if I was afraid at first to work in a new field for me thinking I might not be able to do it, eventually everything was perfect.
It's impossible not to make friends here, everyone is very friendly, welcoming and smiling and helps you without hesitation. I have known wonderful people with whom I will keep in touch all my life and who will remain in my soul forever.
The first thing you have to do after you make friends in this place is to try all kinds of food. It's impossible not to like something. You have to try everything, you will have no regrets (except when you are weighing). For this reason, I think, the first thing I learned in Turkish was how to ask at the shops for a simit, the best food you can serve with tea for breakfast.
When I left home, I said that being alone, without my mother who is cooking everyday for me, I will definitely lose weight. The biggest lie I have been saying lately. Never believe you can lose weight in Turkey, it is impossible.
Even though I spent only a week here, I have no regrets for the choice I have made and I do not think this will change over the next 2 months. The only thing I would change is the time. I think it is too short and I'm not going to do all I want, including visiting Istanbul (which I heard is the most beautiful city in the World). I would also like to visit Pamukkale, Cappadocia, Izmir, Hatay and more.
But as I said, the time is too short, and the main purpose of an EVS is not traveling but volunteering. The opportunity to travel and see new places comes as a bonus.
So, dear friends, if you really want something, just follow your path, do not hesitate, and do not leave yourself driven by fear and others opinions. It is your life and you have to choose for yourself. Better to know that you tried and failed, than not to try and to think all your life about “how would it be if I had tried?”
I decided to risk, and as I said, I have no regrets. Even if something goes wrong from now on, at least I know I tried to fulfill my dreams, and for the most part, I succeeded. I am just waiting to see what challenges will come for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment