Saturday 23 September 2017

Merhaba!

This is my second post for the blog… and a lot of things have changed since the first one. If everything was new at the beginning, now I feel very comfortable in Ankara (not because I wasn’t before, but now all those new things are more familiar) and I can say actually that everything is great!
To leave your country helps you see things from a different perspective. You learn to empathize with other people and cultures and then you realize that there are different ways to do the same action. That new country, new culture, tradition, people.. I couldn’t imagine myself alone in a position like this, working and  having fun with strangers that I just meet.. but is amazing. I’m in Ankara, a big town full with a feeling of great pleasure and happiness. No words can describe such an great city, with generous, funny, friendly and amazing people as that Turkish. My experience to be here is really wonderful.
In another train of thoughts, today I was at The Kocatepe Mosque with Burak, an other volunteer. Kocatepe Mosque is an impressive place and a symbol on Ankara's skyline. It's construction started in 1967 and took 20 years to complete and it holds the title of being the largest Mosque in the city of Ankara, as Burak told me. Kocatepe is open to visitors looking to explore the awe-inducing building, as long as they observe and respect the various rules and rituals. I respected that, so I taked off my shoes and I covered my hair for visit it. It was the first time I have been in a mosquee. The effect from the outside is that of a temple for culture, but on the inside it is very inviting, like embracing the visitors. I was very impressed by the atmosphere how was relaxed and paceful and also the first thing that caught my attention was that men, women and children, all entering through the same doors, but they worship in separate rooms. I don’t know the reason. Also, I founded that the muslims pray five times a day. The first is pre-dawn, the following one at noon, an afternoon one and one in the evening before retiring. What I have seen more is that Hocatepe Mosque is a place where everyone feels relax and I liked it. This building is so beautiful and luckily it can be considered a turistical attraction like the Anitkabir or other famous places because here you can really get to experience the city: its history, its beauty, its people- simply some of the turkish vibe.
That’s how I am trying to discover Turkey, Ankara, one bite at a time: finding new spots and melting in the city. This is travelling, I think, this is part of my Evs experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment