Tuesday 27 November 2018

Ankara's hidden gems for art lovers


Every time when I am traveling abroad my first encounter with the place starts from exploring the old parts of the city, enjoying unique architecture, and trying local cuisine. However, recently I have realized that in order to get to know the area better it is necessary to go further than the city center, which is often crowded with tourists (that might make many of us feel annoyed), because the real spirit of the city is often more visible far from the touristic gems.
Since I am a huge fan of street art and all forms of modern art in general, I have been trying to find some interesting places here in Ankara that are usually out of must-see lists. However, there is not much information provided on the internet, therefore I wish my text will not only encapsulate my experience in Ankara so far but also be benefıcial for many tourists who are looking for additional information before coming to the capital of Turkey.
CerModern
My first stop in search of modern art was CernModern. I have to admit, before coming to Ankara I have never viewed the city as modern capital full of contemporary art, therefore my visit to this art center surprised me very pleasantly. From the moment I walked in, the first thing that caught my attention was the design of the center. Specific lightning and spacious rooms enabled me to feel as I am walking inside of "art factory". CerModern’s design is so unique because it is housed in a former train maintenance workshop, therefore the spirit of industrial railway is very much alive and visible. 
At the moment of my visit CernModern hosted 3 temporary exhibitions, which were very different from one another. Eren Eyüboğlu’s exhibition "Life and art" covered the biggest territory at the museum and left me very impressed. Romanian-born artist came to Turkey after meeting the love of her life and stayed there ever since. In some of the interviews she even claimed that Anatolia is her homeland and that she created her most significant works in Turkey. Even though I have never heard about the creator before, her works deeply impressed me and made me want to continue to follow her art. The most significant feature of her works, that makes the artist so unique, is a symbiosis between contemporary Western art and Eastern cultures. Most of her works depicts daily life of ordinary Anatolians in semi-abstract and expressionist manner. 
The second on-going exhibition "Rhythm and colour" by Iranian artist Salar Ahmadian almost hypnotized me with ıt’s "dancing" ribbons and colourful shapes. Unique interpretation of Arabic calligraphy on the canvas not only pleases every modern art lover’s eyes but creates an Instagram-worthy photoshoot set to all the rest.
The third exhibition "Retrospective" by Cypriot artist Aylin Örek introduced us with more than 100 paintings from 1960’s up to now. Since Örek has been traveling around the world and lived in many different locations for most of her life, one can easily notice the mix of foreign cultures and different influences in her works. Örek works depicts her surroundings: daily life, ordinary people and architecture.
Where? Anafartalar Mahallesi, Altınsoy Cd. No:3, 06101 Sıhhıye / Altındağ/Altındağ/Ankara
When? Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 – 20:00 (closed on Mondays).
How much? Full prıce – 20 TL,
Reduced prıce – 10 TL (students, 10 year old and above, senior 65 years and above),
Free admission – for people with disabilities and for children under 10 years old.
Galeri Siyah Beyaz
When I visited the gallery Argun Okumuşoğlu’s collection was on display. The exhibition was very unusual because artist uses a lot of different materials in the process of making his art. He mixes wood with cloth and perceives any material as a medium to communicate with the audience. In his most recent exhibition, that I had an opportunity to explore, he used the technique called frottage that many of us remember from our early childhood when we would put a coin between the paper and shade over in order to bring the ornaments of the coint on sheets. Okumuşoğlu used the same technology but instead paper he chose cloth. In his paintings artist often uses faceless figures and abstract silhouettes which he names as people living in another dimension, creating rather mystical environment. In his latest series one can encounter most recent realities of the world that shocked, amazed or disguised many of us, therefore most of the visitors can relate to the paintings. As the author says, his works are based on what he and his generation had lived through, seen, listened to and watched.



Where? Güvenevler Mahallesi, Kavaklıdere Cd. 3/1-2, 06540 Çankaya/Ankara
When? Monday to Saturday 11:00 – 19:00 (closed on Sundays).
How much? Free admission
Arda Sanat Galerisi
After the series of Argun Okumuşoğlu in Galeri Siyah Beyaz, where faceless and colourless figures were displayed, Zafer Malkoç collection at Arda Sanat Galerisi fılled my eyes with colourfull tons and faces full off strong emotions. Zafer Malkoç perfectly transfers people’s reaction on everyday’s reality and shows Turkish youth’s wish for new fresh winds in the country, exhausted of economical, spiritual and cultural crisis.


Where? Şehit Mustafa Doğan Sokak 84 / A Çankaya-ANKARA
When? Monday to Saturday 10:30 – 19:00 (closed on Sundays).
How much? Free admission
Büklüm Sokağı street and surroundings
As soon as I arrived to the capital of Turkey I was thrilled to see huge murals, artistic districts, full of street art and graffitties on the walls, which I typically see in any European city. However, I was disappointed since I was not able to find any murals and discovered that there were no active street art festivals in the city. Even though street art is a completely new form of art in Turkey, that country has a hard time to adapt, I was able to find some hinds of it at Büklüm Sokağı street, which is not very far from the city center. Walking past the street, I have soon felt as I was scrolling the streets of Amsterdam or Berlin. Büklüm Sokağı is full of well-known international brands, tattoo salons and hotels, which do not hesitate to decorate their walls with modern paintings.
Most of Europeans imagine that Ankara can only be proud of it’s breathtaking mosques, ancient Roman ruins and vast markets. However, Turkey’s second largest city can offer so much more. Ankara is becoming a blooming center of contemporary art in the Middle East, attracting more and more curious art lovers every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment