Saturday 2 December 2017

THE HEART OF ANKARA

Before visiting any city everybody searching for information: what to do in this city, what to see, how to spend nice time? I did the same, found most popular places in Ankara. I like architecture and picturesque views of the city very much. In this blog I want to write about my trip to one of the most interesting parts of the Turkish capital – Ankara Castle (Ankara Kalesi).

Some facts about Ankara Castle. It is located not so far from the city center and standing above Ulus, the oldest district of Ankara. The exact age of Ankara Castle is still unknown, it has hosted many different civilizations such as Hittite, Phrygia, Persian, Byzantine, Arab and Ottoman. Every tribe left a trace upon that charming construction in order to reflect their own tradition, culture and architectural style.

Renovated again and again by Romans, Seljuk, and Ottoman, Ankara Castle consists of citadel and bailey (inside and outside of the castle) surrogated 20 separate towers. Citadel cover approximately 43.000 km2 field with a wall that rises 14-16 meters and includes 42 towers with pentagon corners. The castle’s highest point, called Akkale, stands tall in the southeastern corner. 

My trip started from my house which is located in the center of Ankara, called Kizilay. It is only 2,1 km and about 35-40 min by foot. I like walking so much, it is the best way to explore the city, so I went there at afternoon when the sun was shining and weather was not so hot (it was middle of autumn). I took only my camera and small bag pack, expecting big dose of positive emotions  (photo # 1)

I entered the castle from the main gate (near the clock tower) (photo # 2) and passed by different historical buildings. Some of them are renovated and became popular touristic spots (cafes, souvenir shops etc.), but rest are still not in the best conditions.

Firstly, I went to the northern part of the Castle – beautiful tower with a red flag (photo # 3). I wanted to enter the tower, was searching for entrance, walking around 2, 3 circles to observe all possibilities, but it was closed 😞 Anyway, I came there to make photos, so I did it 😃



I was surprised by the contrast of  the view which I saw. The north view was a big hill with old, ruined and not attractive buildings; actually it was ruins of buildings (photo # 4). West view was to a district named Ulus which I mentioned before. It was also contrast with a part of old small buildings very close to the Castle and big modern commercial skyscrapers on the back view (photo # 5). I rested a bit in this place, made small picnic and continue my exploration of this historical place.



Honestly, I didn’t notice the stairs to the citadel on my right in the beginning of my exploration and passed them 😄. Only on my way back I visited Citadel. I reached stair, lots of them, and even here there were a lot of people. They were selling different goods, small and big souvenirs, like fridge magnets, handmade clothes, bags, lots of things. But mostly I was impressed inside the citadel. I heard some sounds while climbing the stairs, but when I entered Citadel I noticed 5 people playing different instruments a live music. It was so nice and very suitable to this place. I felt very comfortable and happy. 


However, also I noticed that there are a lot of other people, tourists, locals, mostly youngsters. They were sitting everywhere they wanted, exactly like I wrote. Brave ones just on the edge of the walls, others on the stairs, everywhere they wanted, there were no fence or safety barriers (photo # 6). I have some fear of height, so I didn’t risk so much, just climbed the highest place, experience some adrenaline for 1 minute and went to safer place 😄. Here the view to 360 degrees all around was also so perfect. I made some photos and was fully satisfied with the choice to visit this place (photo # 7, photo # 8).



Sometimes You are expecting something from a trip or visit, but here emotions and pleasure were above my expectations. I really recommend this place for those, who like historical architecture, picturesque view and not afraid to overcome some difficulties like climbing for a result, which can surprise You! 💗



No comments:

Post a Comment