Friday 30 October 2015

Trip to Avanos and Ürgüp – CAPPADOCIA

It was just my second day in Turkey when I visited Cappadocia with some IYACA friends and for me almost everything was new and special, but this trip was really the best part!

While we were traveling there by car, (it’s just 60 km far away from the city of Kayseri and it takes almost an hour to get there), my Turkish friends explained to me the history of this unique place. I’m not going to bore you like a touristic guide, but you have to know that one of the first civilisation in Turkey was born there and at that time this area was full of forests.

Now, when I gazed outside the car window, the flowing landscape looks very dry but still fertile due to volcanic debris. Especially, Cappadocia is known for the production of wine and people who live in the conservative city of Kayseri (which is the nearest city to Cappadocia with airport) they usually go there if they want to drink alcohol and have some fun. It's interesting that they go outside the city to enjoy, isn't it?



Let’s turn to our trip! First of all we went to Avanos, a famous village of ceramics and pottery where you can visit the hair museum. At the beginning I thought they were joking, I’ve never heard about a museum of hair before, but now I know that it really exist and I’m going to tell you why they collect hair.
Originally the hair museum was just a potter center where they produce handmade clay pots.You can also try to do one with your own hands (I tried, I have to say that the result of mine was not like the expectation, hahhaha).

Anyway, you are going to ask yourself, what does it matter clay pots with hair? One day unfortunately a friend of the master potter had to leave Turkey. When she left, she cut a strand of her hair and give it to the potter, in order to remember her. When people visit the potter center and they get to know this sad story, they also want to leave a lock of hair.

 I also decided to do it. How does it work? A lock of your hair is cut (very little, don't worry!) and then you can stick it on a piece of paper where you write your name and your contact details. After that you can hang it on the wall, where you find a place because it's really full of locks of hair, more than 15.000! That's why it is part of the Guinness World Record. Why did I do it? You have to know that once or twice a year, they select 5 people casually from these pieces of paper and these girls will win an all-inclusive holiday of fifteen days in Cappadocia. Isn’t nice? Maybe I’m lucky! ;)


The trip goes on with the famous fairy chimneys. We climbed over a little hillock and we took photos with the amazing landscape which the volcanic eruptions shaped by wind offered to us. Unfortunately there weren't hot-air balloons in the sky because it was already afternoon and you can see them only in the morning, mainly when the weather is not bad.


Last but not least, we stopped in Ürgüp, a well-known touristic town for the cave houses.We had a typical Turkish tea break and we visited the ÜrgüpMüftülüğü which nowadays is a school for Imam. They offered us another tea and some books for free.

All in all, I just had a taste of Cappadocia, I’m going to stay in Kayseri six months and for sure I will go there another time.









No comments:

Post a Comment