Tuesday 11 August 2020

Salutări din Ankara - Ankara'dan selamlar




”Would you like to go to abroad for two months?” was the question that I asked myself when I heard about this particular opportunity. I found a positive answer almost instantly to this question.
My volunteering experience began one month ago, as I was preparing for the trip of my life from Bucharest, Romania, to the beautiful and heavily and diversed culturalized Turkey. I confess that I am one of the lucky ones when I say that I made my journey by car (the road from Bucharest to Ankara took about 14 hours), because I had the chance to enjoy the special landscapes and the unique architecture that thıs country offers to ıt’s visitors.

It didn't take long until I got used to the city and the lifestyle in which the people here live, because the capital of Turkey is similar to the Capital of Romania, Bucharest. The fact that I know a little about the language and lifestyle of the Turks helped me to get acquainted with the city, so I didn't feel the cultural shock. The stay here was and is a relaxing and challenging one. The challenges I went through were managing my money, spending responsibly, and having to learn to cook in order to better manage my money. As the result of this money management,  I had the opportunity to visit different museums and cultural places like Anıtkabir, Etnografya, Anadolu Medeniyetleri Müzesi and Rahmi Koç. I’m thankful to the volunteers that came with me because they offered me/gave me the chance to deepen my knowlege regarding the turkish civilisation and their history.

As a month went by, I relised that I have become fearless regarding new places, new people and new countries, I succeded working on my patience, I managed to impprove my turkish language. I want to conclude with the fact that anyone wants to become a volunteer, and this brings benefits to society, but more importantly brings personal benefits, because the experience of being a volunteer helps you grow as a person, increases self-esteem, provides a sense of purpose and helps you become an active member / citizen of the society in which you live. If you need find a reason to volunteer, there are plenty, but the main reason to be a volunteer is because it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment