Tuesday 22 December 2015

My first impressions of Kayseri...

I got here five days ago, but somehow it seems longer, and I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that so many things have happened these past few days that time seems to have expanded (contrary to the scientific allegations) - visits to authorities, awesome meals, a paper plane contest, sight seeing through the city... so much to learn, so much to discover!
OK, so maybe this is not the most "exotic" place to be, but for me, having met so many wonderful people has got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, 6 months (the period that I'm supposed to spend here) it's not such a long time after all. You don't need me to tell you about traditions, weather, geography, food, religion, touristic attractions, the fact that you won't be able to have a beer in town (except for some hotels, maybe) or get along with locals because of the language barrier, as only a handful of them speak, let's say, English, nor about the huge smog that has come to be an inherent part of the scenery, you can google it yourself.

Instead, I want to take a moment to thank these wonderful people that have made us, foreigners, feel so welcomed. I hope to be able to repay and also accept their kindness as a natural thing, cause, for the time being, I'm always worried about taking too much of their time, wondering whether they won't deny you things or refuse you out of courteousness and politeness, but I'm starting to think they're genuinely nice people, it's in their nature to be friendly and helpful.


As a last thought, I hope to be able to affect people's lives in some way (minuscule, but for the better), hope to be able to contribute to this project and live up to my predecessors. Till next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment