Friday 8 March 2019

Welcome to Athens


Yasas, Hello, Merhaba

I am Dilan, my EVS journey have just started and it has almost been 3 week. Athens is a very vivid city and you cannot understand how the time passes so quickly. You can say that it is a very crowded city because there is a lot of immigrants from all over the World. I have arrived at the Athens airport on December 2 and my mentor came to pick me up and after we went to the house that I currently live. The area is called Galatsi. It is a very nice place to live and very safe to go out and make night walks when you eat a lot of pasta Because of your Italian flatmates :)


From the house to the Office is like 40 minutes but there is a variety of busses but I can say that the busses are a little bit slow and they are not punctual. So, it is very likely for you to be late. Our Office is located in the centre called “Omonia”.. We are 6 volunteers. 2 from Turkey, 2 from Italy and the other 2 are from Spain. We work at the Office from Monday till Friday, 5 hours per day. On Monday and Wednesday, we go to the school in Kypseli to teach English for immigrant children. There are nearly 20 children and together, we make activities and learn altogether. The best part of working for me is at the school with children. I love to see them playing together and laughing because some of them cannot speak Greek and they only speak their original language. For me, it is a great experience to witness that sometimes language is not necessary.

After working, Athens offers you great opportunities for you and you don’t want to go back home even if you are very tired. We go to the activities or events organised by different types of organizations. We dance, we sing. It is also a nice to go taverns, listen Greek songs and drink raki. They always offer you free water when you sit in a restaurant or in a cafe which I really appreciate because its healthy :)
This is all for now. Greetings from Athens, Happy New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment