Tuesday 27 June 2017

The Beginning. Chapter I


Hello everyone. For starters I will briefly introduce myself. My name is Mindaugas Neniškis. I am from Vilnius, Lithuania and at the moment I reside in Kayseri, Turkey. This is my first EVS experience and I will try to keep my blog entries simple but interesting.
So.... Where to start. I have to say this is my first journey to Turkey as well so everything was really new and somewhat strange for me. I will try and convey my experiences and adventures in this entry and chronicle my first month. Short and simple.
Arrival
It was already late. I cannot remember if it was past midnight or not but I was greeted at the airport and then we went to the organization. Though I have already met one person before in Istanbul as I had connecting flights. A really nice guy at the airport. He wanted to sell me a taxi ride but we ended up having some smokes and drinking some tea as I had some free time to pass. So just like that, random, I already had friends in Turkey. To sum up it was a really long day and I had to go like 7 times in total through security checks haha. But that's a story for another time.


Exploring Kayseri
Once I was settled and trying to get used to my new surroundings I also had time to explore Kayseri and meet people. With my EVS colleague we explored the neighborhood, the center, the outskirts of the city. Each journey showed something else and revealed more layers about the city. Sometimes we would just go to some random place or just take the tram and go to the last stop and enjoy the setting sun.

Activities
Already had quite a few lessons at school with kids and also English conversation clubs at the center. Not to mention other project activities. Some more fun than others haha. Also I am always willing to tell some funny stories or some jokes so I can say that so far our work was not boring. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Arrival training in Istanbul
The best time I had so far during this month was in Istanbul. I met lots of cool people during my EVS training and had a really great time. I learned some things and had lots of fun. What's not to like. The Basilica Cistern and Ayasofya left the biggest impression. Also went to a barber shop just before leaving the hotel. Because why not. Lots of things happened in Istanbul but I would need a separate blog entry just for that. So maybe next time? Or next next time. We shall see.








Future;
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So you know. I have included some photos as I don't want to write a thousand words haha.
I really want to visit Kapadokya so hopefully I can tell more in the next chapter about that.

Thanks for reading and....
To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment